Professional Dental Cleanings & Exams
Dental cleanings and exams are an essential part of keeping your teeth and mouth healthy and preventing decay and disease. Comprehensive dental services help you maintain healthy teeth and gums and a winning smile. In addition, dental exams aid in the early detection of developing problems so you can be treated for issues earlier and more effectively.
To schedule a cleaning and exam, please call (912) 355-0605 today for an appointment with our Garden City dental hygiene team.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: Removal of stains and plaque that are not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed at your initial dental visit. At regular checkup exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
To schedule a cleaning and exam and learn more about great dental hygiene, please contact Medical Arts Dentistry or call (912) 355-0605 today for a consultation. Dr. Carla Roher serves patients in Garden City and other areas near Savannah.