You might have heard of one of the most well-known cosmetic injection brands in the world, but you might not realize that Botox can help your smile. In this guide from Medical Arts Dentistry in Georgia, we explain just how.
What Is Botox?
Botox is a cosmetic injectable that is commonly used to address signs of aging. By blocking the signals from nerves to muscles in the treated muscle, Botox is able to relax and soften wrinkles when the muscle cannot contract. You may expect Botox injections available at a spa with facial treatments, but you might be surprised to learn it has a number of practical applications in dental and oral health as well.
1. Botox Can Help With TMJ Disorder
TMJ disorder, short for temporomandibular joint dysfunction, is defined by impaired movement and pain in the jaw joint and its surrounding muscles. Dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint can lead to jaw pain and difficulty chewing food. Some people with TMJ disorder may also experience clicking or locking of the jaw joint as well. Other common symptoms include regular headaches or earaches. Botox can address the pain and other issues caused by TMJ disorder by reducing muscle spasms throughout the face.
2. Botox Can Address Teeth Grinding
Teeth grinding or clenching, also known as bruxism, can have a serious impact on your dental health. Grinding can cause teeth to chip, exacerbate symptoms of gum disease, or even cause TMJ disorder. With Botox injections, bruxism can be treated by relieving the muscle spasms and tension present throughout the jawline and reducing the resulting pain.
3. Botox Can Target Cosmetic Concerns With Your Smile
In addition to being useful for addressing dental health concerns, Botox is perhaps most famous for its aesthetic benefits. In addressing TMJ disorder and teeth grinding, Botox can improve how your smile feels–and, it can also improve how your smile looks. If you have any of the following cosmetic concerns about your smile, Botox can help:
- Improve gummy smiles. You may have a more gummy-than-average smile if you have excessive gum tissue and small teeth or a shorter upper lip combined with a thicker gum line. Botox injections can relax the muscle that causes your upper lip to rise so that it no longer exposes a large part of your gums.
- Reduce noticeable smile lines. If you think you’d be more confident without strong nasolabial or marionette lines, Botox can address the muscles that will soften their appearance.
- Address smoker’s lines. If you have a cigarette smoking habit, you may have noticed lines that appear around your upper and lower lips whenever you smile. These lines are also caused by aging and excessive sun exposure. Botox can relax the orbicularis muscle so that you can have a wrinkle-free smile.
- Enhance your lips. Strategic injection of Botox can give you fuller lips without the use of dermal fillers or a surgical lip lift procedure.
Am I A Good Candidate For Botox?
If you wonder if Botox is right for you, speak to your dental care provider. Let your dentist know if you are taking blood thinners, sleep aids, muscle relaxants, or allergy medications, as this you may be instructed to stop the use of these medications prior to your scheduled Botox session.
If you are seeking Botox injections to address dental concerns in the Georgetown or Savannah, GA areas, consider Medical Arts Dentistry. Medical Arts Dentistry is glad to offer cosmetic dentistry, as well as general and family dentistry, and dental sleep medicine to serve a wide variety of needs, with two locations to serve their patients. Medical Arts Dentistry also offers other cosmetic dentistry procedures for a more beautiful smile, such as teeth whitening, dental restoration, and Invisalign. Call 912-921-0401 for our Georgetown location or 912-355-0605 for our Savannah location today.